Angie’s Recipe of the Day: Apple Tartlets
- 2 cups almond flour
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup chia flour, optional
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 4 tbsp coconut flakes
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Mix together all the crust ingredients in a mixing bowl using your hands until it becomes dough-like. Don’t worry that the dough won’t stretch or feels a bit crumbly.
- Get a small amount of the dough and place into each space in the muffin pan.
- Using your hands, spread the dough so that it forms a crust (it’ll be a bit thicker of a crust than traditional tarts – just under ¼-inch thick).
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Start to make the apple filling while the crust is in the oven.
- Leave to cool.
- Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan and add in all the other filling ingredients (apple slices, vanilla extract, spices and optional honey).
- Let the apple cook for 20-30 minutes until it’s very soft.
- Pour the apple filling into a bowl to cool for 10 minutes.
- Spoon the apple filling into each tartlet crust so that it’s level with the top of the crust. Then take 5-6 individual slices of apple for each tartlet and layer then in a cascade on the top covering the filling. Place the last slice facing the other way (see photo below).
- Grate some fresh lemon zest on top for garnish.
Recipe courtesy of civilizedcavemancooking.com