Angie’s Recipe of the Day: Bacon Wrapped Candied Butternut Squash Bites
- 1 small butternut squash
- ¼ cup coconut sugar, divided
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 pound of bacon (may need to use less depending on the size of the squash)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the long end of the butternut squash off of the bulb. I only used the long end because the bulb is so tough to deal with because of it’s shape, but feel free to use it.
- Remove skin from the butternut squash then chop squash into 1 inch cubes. Place cubes into a bowl along with half of the ¼ cup of coconut sugar (meaning 2 tablespoons), cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Mix the sugar with the squash to well coat.
- Cut bacon in half (not lengthwise) to create about 3-4 inch slices of bacon. Wrap each slice of bacon around a cube of coated butternut squash, placing the end of the bacon underneath the squash cube so it doesn’t unravel when you bake them. Repeat with all cubes.
- Place bacon wrapped cubes on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle the rest of the coconut sugar (2 tablespoons) on top of the bacon wrapped cubes.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes. Check at about 20 minutes to make sure they are not burning, this will just depend on the thickness of your bacon.
- Place a toothpick through the bacon wrapped cubes and eat up!
Recipe Courtesy of paleomg.com