Angie’s Recipe of the Day: Chicken Satay w “Peanut” Sauce
- 2 Tbs fresh ginger root, rough chopped
- 1 large shallot, rough chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 serrano chili pepper, sliced, stem removed
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into strips
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (optional)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 (403 fl oz) can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 2 Tbs lime juice
- 1 Tbs fish sauce
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- In a blender or small food processor, combine ginger, shallots, garlic, and serrano chili pepper. Add oil slowly to create a paste.
- Divide the paste in half. Place one half in a large Ziplock bag, along with the chicken strips. Add sea salt (if desired), and cayenne pepper. Mix contents together with your hands so the chicken is coated entirely. Seal the bag tightly.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Place the other half of the paste in a saucepan. Shortly before mealtime, heat the saucepan over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Bring temperature down to medium-low, and continue to cook until a creamy consistency is reached (2-3 minutes).
- Thread the marinated chicken strips on to skewers. Grill over direct high heat until fully cooked, turning once (about 5-7 mins).
- Serve alongside the sauce.