Angie’s Recipe of the Day: Coconut Banana Pancakes with Lemon Butter
- 2 small bananas
- 3 whole eggs + 1 egg white
- ¾ cup almond meal
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 tsp bicarb soda or baking powder
- ghee or coconut oil for cooking
- maple syrup & strawberries to serve
- Grate butter stick into a ramekin and combine with grated lemon zest and lemon juice. Use a fork to mash the butter and incorporate lemon. Set aside.
- This step is the same for both versions. Place banana and eggs (and honey for version 1) in a food processor or a blender and puree until smooth and fluffy. Add shredded coconut, almond meal and baking powder and whisk/blend until well incorporated, about 20 seconds. In version 2, I used a soup puree stick and a whisk as I didn’t have a food processor or a blender, so you can actually get away without fancy gadgets.
- Heat up a tiny dollop of ghee or coconut oil in a non-stick frying pan. Cook pancakes in batches, about 2 tbsp of mixture for a larger pancake and 1 tbsp for a pickelet. Keep the heat on low/medium making sure the pancakes don’t burn too quickly and cook thoroughly. I usually cook mine for 1:30 mins on each side. You know it’s time to turn them over when little bubbles start appearing in the batter. The batter is quite fragile so use two spatulas to turn them over. Add a little more ghee or coconut oil in between pancakes.
- Version 1 pancakes are sweet enough to only be served with lemon butter and blueberries on the side. Version 2 can do with some maple syrup or honey but some of you might find that banana and coconut provide enough sweetness.
Preparation time: 10 minutes, if that
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes, depending on the amount of pancakes
Number of servings: 1-3 serves
Recipe Courtesy of eatdrinkpaleo.com