Angie’s Recipe of the Day: Double Pork & Sage Stuffed Baked Apples
- 4 slices of bacon
- 5 apples (I used honey crisp), halved and hollowed out using a melon baller
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- pinch of black pepper
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- extra ghee for topping apples
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place bacon on a baking sheet and bake bacon in oven for 15 minutes or until crispy then chop into small pieces.
- While bacon is cooking, cut apples in half then use a melon baller to hollow out each apple then set aside.
- Place a large saute pan over medium heat. Add ghee and minced garlic.
- Once garlic becomes fragrant, add onion and ground pork.
- Brown pork and break into small pieces, then add celery, salt, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, black pepper, red wine vinegar, sage and chopped bacon. Mix well until combined.
- Scoop mixture into each apple half. Top each apple with about 1 teaspoon of ghee on top of the mixture.
- Place in a baking dish and bake for 40-45 minutes until apples are tender.
Prep time 20 mins
Cook time 45 mins
Total time 1 hour 5 mins
Recipe courtesy of paleomg.com