Angie’s Recipe of the Day: Fancy Steak & Eggs
- 1 round steak (or steak of your choice)
- 1-2 pieces of bacon
- 2 eggs
- ½ yellow onion, sliced thin
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- avocado, to top
- fat of choice – I used bacon fat
- Heat up 2 small skillets over medium heat.
- Add a tablespoon of bacon fat to one of your skillets and add your sliced onion. Salt and pepper your onions to your liking. Use a wood spoon to stir the onions around to make sure they don’t burn and help them caramelize.
- While the onions get to caramelizing, first salt and pepper your steak and add a bit of basil to both sides. Then wrap your piece(s) of bacon around your steak and add it directly to your hot pan.
- Cook your steak on both sides for about 3-4 minutes. Elk steak doesn’t need to cook very long because it doesn’t have a ton of fat, but cook your steak accordingly and how you like your steak cooked.
- After your steak is cooked, put on a plate to rest and add a bit more bacon fat to that same pan, if needed.
- Now crack both of your eggs into the pan (this is where you can cook your eggs however you’d like).
- I made my eggs over easy so I let cook for about a min, salt and peppered my eggs, then put about a teaspoon of water into the pan and covered with a lid to steam the top of the eggs.
- After about 1 more minute or when eggs are cooked to preference, pull off heat and top on your steak.
- Once onions are caramelized, after about 10 minutes, top on steak and eggs. Then slice up some avocado to make it pretty and delicious.
Recipe Courtesy of paleomg.com