Angie’s Recipe of the Day: Kitchen Sink Soup
3 pounds grass fed ground beef
3-4 cups chicken broth
3-4 cups water (or more if needed – less if you want yours more “stew like” or more if you want it “soupy”)
2 cups diced tomatoes
1 large sweet potato, diced
6 carrots, chopped (I used different colors of carrots; red, orange, and yellow)
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
5 celery stalks, chopped
2-3 cups shredded green cabbage
3 small shallots, finely diced (about 1/2 cup)
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
2-3 teaspoons ground cumin
1-2 teaspoons coriander
2 teaspoons chili powder
1-2 tablespoons dried basil
About 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
1. In a large soup pot add the sweet potatoes, carrots, chicken broth, and water and bring to a boil
2. In a separate large pot or skillet, brown the 3 pounds of ground beef, and season with a little bit of salt and pepper, and set aside.
3. After the soup pot comes to a boil, add the shallots, garlic, diced tomatoes, celery, and bell pepper and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. Add the browned ground beef and shredded cabbage and continue to simmer until the potatoes and carrots are tender.
5. Season with all of the dried spices. Taste, and add more seasoning if desired.
6. Stir in the fresh cilantro and serve.
*Tips: Garnish with more fresh cilantro if desired, diced green onions, minced jalapeños jalapeños and more shredded green cabbage. With your leftovers, eat a bowl of soup for breakfast topped with fried or poached egg!
Have fun, be creative, and as always, enjoy!
Recipe Courtesy of everydaypaleo.com