Angie’s Recipe of the Day: Paleo Breakfast Cookies
Ingredients (yields 1 dozen)
½ pound ripe bananas (about 1 cup mashed)
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 oz pitted dates (about 3 or 4)
1/3 cup coconut flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1½ tsp lemon juice
½ cup finely shredded dried coconut
2 tablespoons dried apricots, chopped
2 tablespoons dried currants
2 tablespoons raisins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a food processor, puree the bananas, dates, applesauce, and coconut oil until it has the consistency of baby food, about 30 seconds.
3. Add the coconut flour, cinnamon, vanilla, baking soda, lemon juice and pulse 5 or 6 times until combined.
4. Add the dried fruit and shredded coconut and pulse twice. Don’t run it long enough to puree the dried fruit, just enough to incorporate it.
5. Spoon golf-ball sized balls of dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment or a Silpat.
6. Flatten the balls a bit with your palm. These cookies don’t spread, so make them the shape and size you want prior to baking.
7. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
8. Let the cookies cool completely, then store in an airtight container in the fridge.
*You can also press the dough into a greased pyrex dish and bake as bars for about 17 minutes.