ANGIE’S RECIPE OF THE DAY: SAUSAGE, EGG & SWEET POTATO SKILLET
Sausage, Egg and Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet
5 cups sweet potato, grated
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 pound ground pork breakfast sausage
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
2 Tbsp coconut oil
Sliced avocado (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Turn stove on medium high heat and melt 2 Tbsp coconut oil in a cast iron skillet.
- When oil is hot add onion and cook onion until soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add sausage to onion in skillet and cook until the sausage is cooked through and crumbly.
- Add grated sweet potato, salt and pepper to onion and sausage mixture, continue cooking until sweet potato is soft and just cooked through, 3-4 minutes. Stir frequently. Sweet potato should still hold its grated appearance and not get mushy. Be sure not to overcook as the mixture will have more cook time in the oven.
- When mixture is cooked through, turn off heat.
- With a spoon create 6 wells in sweet potato and sausage mixture. Crack 1 egg in each well.
- Place skillet in oven for approximately 5-8 minutes depending on desired firmness of your egg.
To serve, scoop onto a plate and garnish with sliced avocado.