Roasted Red Pepper “Cream” Sauce
Makes about 2 cups
1 cup steamed sweet potato chunks
1 cup nut milk (or non-dairy milk of choice)
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 cloves raw garlic
1 roasted red pepper
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
Throw all ingredients into a high-powered blender, like a Vitamix, and blend until smooth and creamy. Adjust seasonings to taste.
*If your sweet potato is freshly steamed, be careful when using the blender– the steam pressure can make the lid pop off! I used very cold nut milk, to cool it down a bit.
Sweet Potato Noodles with Roasted Red Pepper “Cream” Sauce
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled (save ½ potato for sauce)
- 1 tablespoon butter or coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped asparagus
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- Roasted Red Pepper “Cream” Sauce (recipe posted above)
- sea salt, to taste
- Begin by making the “noodles” out of the raw sweet potato, using a spiralizer. (You could also use a vegetable peeler to make fettucinni-like noodles.) *I used about 1½ large sweet potatoes to fill a BIG bowl of noodles– use your own judgement when determining portion sizes.
- Time Saving Tip: You can make the noodles while your roasted red peppers are steaming away for the sauce!
- Steam the remaining ½ sweet potato (about one cup of chunks) for the Red Pepper Cream Sauce recipe.
- Saute the fresh asparagus and mushrooms in a bit of butter, until tender. I always use a bit of water, as well, to keep things moving without adding extra butter to the dish.
- Add in the sweet potato noodles, and cook just long enough for them to get slightly tender, but not mushy.
- Immediately add the cream sauce, and toss with the noodles so that they are well coated. I placed a lid over my pan for about 2 minutes– which was enough time to gently steam the noodles and heat everything thoroughly.
- Adjust any seasonings to taste, and serve immediately.